Friday, April 3, 2009

Long Week


I know it's been over a week since I've posted, believe it or not, I had started on Monday morning but was interrupted when we got a call for a drowning. It's been so long since I've been out on a drowning and I have to say, I've missed it. There's nothing like standing on a hot aluminum boat speeding down the river with dirty water splashing in your face knowing that so many things have decomposed in there...overall, I loved every second of it. I know you're all wondering if we found our drowning victim and the answer is yes and no. See, when you're looking for someone in water it's very difficult to pinpoint the body due to the moving water. If you're a little squeamish, you may want to skip the rest of this paragraph, I'll not get graphic. You see, decomposition starts the second the body ceases in life and gases begin to build, when a body is in water the scent is released and out into the water, the water follows the current and depending on the depth depends on when it reaches the surface and up into the air us dogs to smell it. That means that we can alert to the scent that's rising out of the water but it's up to our handlers to put the rest of the puzzle pieces together to give the divers a general area to look. Well, I alerted on an area and so did my good friend Dingo but our handlers couldn't come up with the general area. HUMANS! I mean, we do all this work and all they're supposed to do is put a few little pieces together and they can't even do that!! I just wish they'd "FIGURE IT OUT!"

The rest of the week Mama Nikki's been busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kickin' contest. Not sure where I heard that but it kinda stuck. I've been stuck here all week with my siblings that are about as boring as the day is long. All I wanted to do was to go back out and search! We were supposed to go out again today but all the rain from the night before made it too dangerous for us but I heard that they may have found her. I'm sure it will be on the news if they did so keep your eyes open.

In the meantime Mama Nikki has been working on her new certification program called Real Life Rover and yes folks, that is trademarked. It's a really neat test to prepare dogs for the real world unlike most training classes or programs out there. Don't get me wrong, any training is good for the human and the dog, okay, almost any training. If it causes pain to the dog, take it from me, 'WE DON'T LIKE IT AND WE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!' But if you just learn to communicate with us and understand us, we'll do anything for you. Anyway, Mama Nikki is trying to finish the last bit of detail so she can set up the training class for twenty-five lucky individuals to be the first certified handler/dog team in your area and no, this isn't just for search and rescue dogs or working dogs, this is for every human/dog team that likes to spend time together going out in public. This will give the human and the dog a whole new life together. If you're interested in it go check it out on the front page of our website. www.dogspeak101.com

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I look forward to sharing my adventures with you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment